A steering wheel refurbish

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
ed martin
356 Fan

#1 Post by ed martin »

Hey Guys,

Here's an A steering wheel I plucked off of Ebay. It was in rough condition as you can see, the paint missing from the center hub, some pitting on the spokes and nothing remaining of the original plastic handle, just the iron core. I decided to use my woodworking skills to create a wooden handle. I used mahogany wood with a walnut center inlay. Used steam to bend the wood.

I have a couple of questions, particulary for some of you purists. Good or bad thing to have done this in terms of originality? (Ultimately I'm quite happy with regardless!) I'm wondering how to treat the spokes to adress the blemish problems (silver Paint?) I originally took it to my chromer but he said it wasn't doable. What color should paint the center hub, I guess they originally were all that off white, but with the mahogany and walnut , I don't think it would look right. What do you guys think?

Gary Hadden
356 Fan

Wheel

#2 Post by Gary Hadden »

It may be an after thought but some brass plugs set into the wood might look a little more authentic, something like the nardi wheels. I think the spokes are stainless so if they are a little fine wet paper would shine them up. Good luck

Gary

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: A steering wheel refurbish

#3 Post by Barry Brisco »

ed martin wrote:Good or bad thing to have done this in terms of originality?
I'm wondering how to treat the spokes to adress the blemish problems (silver Paint?) I originally took it to my chromer but he said it wasn't doable. What color should paint the center hub, I guess they originally were all that off white, but with the mahogany and walnut , I don't think it would look right.
Ed, you clearly have some top-notch woodworking skills, nice job! As to originality, well obviously that wheel is no longer "original" with the wood rim but who cares? It's beautiful. If you ever sell your car, potential buyers who wants a fully stock car may not like the wheel, but someone else very well might.

Try to polish the spokes, I certainly wouldn't paint them.

Since you've customized the wheel, I think the hub paint color should harmonize with your interior color, whatever that is.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

Ed-
I hope you are ready for a side business, because that wheel looks good enough that people are probably about to start bugging you for one for them.

I would leave the spokes natural metal, just clean them up as best you can. The center I would do a neutral color to not neccisarily match you interior, but complement it.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Eric Wahlberg
356 Fan

#5 Post by Eric Wahlberg »

Unfortunately the spokes are plated. I wish they were stainless, but have
seen too many A steering wheels with rusty spokes. Also, the Nardi wood
wheels did not use brass plugs, but the Derrington and I believe Moto Lita
wood wheels did.

Eric

----- Original Message -----
To: <356talk@356registry.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2008 5:40 PM
Subject: [356Talk] A steering wheel refurbish

It may be an after thought but some brass plugs set into the wood might
look a little more authentic, something like the nardi wheels. I think
the spokes are stainless so if they are a little fine wet paper would
shine them up. Good luck

Gary

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Eric Wahlberg

ed martin
356 Fan

#6 Post by ed martin »

Thanks for the input everyone. I chose this laminated approach because it was the way a 911/912 wheel I once had was constructed. I think the brass plugs on some wheels are a matter of form following function, as I would believe that they serve to fasten the handle to the metal portion of the wheel as the metal used is a flat stock.

As you can see, I resolved my color choice dilemma by polishing the aluminum metal hub. I'm amazed at just how well and beautiful the results are. I used a file to get the rough portions and used grades of sandpaper to 400 grit, then polished with rouge and a buffing wheel. I need to rub the wood portion a bit more and add more coats of laquer, but this I think is more or less the finished product.

I think what I'm going to do is sell it to help fund my 58 A addiction. I think I'll start around $1500, maybe post it on Ebay.

I'm going to keep my eye out for more project wheels and if anybody has a wheel they want to convert you can PM me I suppose. :D

ed martin
356 Fan

#7 Post by ed martin »

I've just listed this wheel on Ebay. Item #120271661626.

I'm thinking about doing the same treatment to this battered batwing I'm presently using in my project. Maybe chrome the spokes and add smaller spokes like the A? May end up costing more than it will be worth. Any ideas?

ed martin
356 Fan

#8 Post by ed martin »

Well, it's found a new home in Germany!