Engine Knock Follow-up

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Bennett
356 Fan

Engine Knock Follow-up

#1 Post by John Bennett »

Back in March I posted a message about an engine knock on a fresh rebuild. Turns out I hadn't torqued the flywheel sufficiently. Fortunately, I caught it before there was any damage to the engine. I promised to post the results no matter how embarassing. Lesson learned, don't leave something that important to an impact wrench. Thanks to everybody that offered assistance.

John

earlier...

Listers,
I recently rebuilt a normal A engine with Zenith carbs and Bursch exhaust.
It has a few hundred miles on it and it has developed a knock that occurs at idle. I think the noise is too heavy to be valve train components. Oil pressure is good and a recent oil change showed no metallic bits in the oil.
I pulled the fan belt and still have the knock so it’s not the generator or fan. I pulled the engine and the flywheel is not loose. The engine runs fine, otherwise, but I don't want to do any further damage. I'm about to pull the heads and check the pistons and rods. I have posted a short video for anybody that would like to hear it. I am looking for any suggestions for pinpointing the problem before I take it all apart.

http://picasaweb.google.com/j.bennett35 ... 9690333399

BTW, I booked my room at HOJO for Hershey today. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys.

Thanks, in advance.

John

John Bennett
356 Registry #17496
'62 B T6 Coupe #117880
New Bern NC