Flapper Boxes / Thermo Flaps / Rubber seals / Powder Coating

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Neil M. Fennessey
356 Fan

Re: Flapper Boxes / Thermo Flaps / Rubber seals / Powder Coa

#16 Post by Neil M. Fennessey »

Do you still have a battery pack in your 34C? Remove it and take a good look at it.

I should mention that I rarely read the digest/follow this forum anymore.
Back to the Ivory Tower I go!
 - Neil
'67 912/356D (Ol' Blue)
'82 HP 34C

Edwin Tiben
356 Fan

Re: flappers

#17 Post by Edwin Tiben »

Diana Bergen wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:06 am Enclosed picture of flapper ... make a note of positions of parts before disassembling ! Now is the time to repair worn shafts and broken" ears" on actuator lever and reinforce the side of the snout , possibly w a washer welded to it ...
Bringing up an old item..

Working on the flapper boxes too. Have to replace/repair the lever and repairing the worn holes.

Have read about every article on the forum, but i cant find a hint how to remove the rod of the front flaps. this post says they are pressed. Do i drill out the pressed area or is there a way to get the rod out so i can dor the repair welding?

cheers, Edwin

Chatard Romain
356 Fan

Re: flappers

#18 Post by Chatard Romain »

Diana Bergen wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:06 am Enclosed picture of flapper ... make a note of positions of parts before disassembling ! Now is the time to repair worn shafts and broken" ears" on actuator lever and reinforce the side of the snout , possibly w a washer welded to it ...
Hello,

I'm very interested because I broke a lever of my flapper box. How do you dismount the lever of flapper box (so I will take the time to mount new rubber seals)

Regards, Romain

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Flapper Boxes / Thermo Flaps / Rubber seals / Powder Coating

#19 Post by Ron LaDow »

This is a drawing of a fix 'patch I've used several times when the valve axle has gotten 'grooved' by the flapper box tin. The lip is obviously *much* wider than the thickness of the flapper box material and moves the support on the axle away from the worn area.
Heater Valve Hole Fix.jpg
Heater Valve Hole Fix.jpg (926.04 KiB) Viewed 770 times
Regarding the levers, I got tired of 'fixing' them and they are part of the Pre Mat product line:
https://precisionmatters.biz/air-channe ... levers.php
Levers 003.JPG
Levers 003.JPG (2.61 MiB) Viewed 770 times
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Edwin Tiben
356 Fan

#20 Post by Edwin Tiben »

Yes those are the actions I will do, but questions remains.. how do I remove the rod from the lid as it’s pressed.?

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#21 Post by Ron LaDow »

Edwin Tiben wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:36 pm Yes those are the actions I will do, but questions remains.. how do I remove the rod from the lid as it’s pressed.?
I have never had to do so, but I'm quite sure those are spot-welded, not a press fit.
It's obvious the welds will have to be ground from the valve tin to release them from the rod. The Bergen image makes it clear that you can do this without separating the tin pieces; time to get in there with a Dremel tool and as much time as it takes.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Chatard Romain
356 Fan

#22 Post by Chatard Romain »

Hello,

Just a simple question about this topic. How can I remove easily and properley the butterfly from the flapper box ?

Edwin Tiben
356 Fan

#23 Post by Edwin Tiben »

Ok, bit of an update.

Biting the bullet, i finally drilled out the flaps from its rod.

Was thinking how i could fix the play on the worn holes and figured nylon bushes, oil and heat resistant could do the trick.

Quite happy with the result, so now i can paint the boxes and get on..

i grinded a bit of the side of the flap to accommodate the flange on the bush. when adding new rubber the sealing it will be sealed till the bushes.
with this there is no play at all on the flaps, nice centered.

Of course the drill is not part of the improvement ;-)

Cheers Edwin