Brake Cylinder Resleeving

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Matt Anderson
356 Fan

Brake Cylinder Resleeving

#1 Post by Matt Anderson »

So I bled my brakes a couple of weeks ago on a car that has been sitting for about 30 years. When I initially inspected it, everything worked fine and seemed to be doing well.

I just got out to start working on the car again and one of the rear cylinders has sprung a leak. I've pulled it and inspected it. It looks like there is some considerable amount of corrosion.

The question is: Should I have the existing units resleeved or buy repro units? The originals are WAY out of my budget.

Thanks!
63 356B Cab
02 Ducati Monster "Dark"
02 Audi Allroad

Gert Gehlhaar
356 Fan

#2 Post by Gert Gehlhaar »

Here is a tip on what I just did with a 1956 Mercedes-Benz 180D that had been sitting since 1984. I flushed the complete system, then removed the master cylinder and took it apart and cleaned everything and honed it. Replace the rubber parts by matching up old size with new ones. My local Auto Parts Place had all the sizes that I needed to do the Master Cylinder and all the wheel cylinders, 2 cyl for each front wheel and one for each rear wheel.
Total cost of parts about $50 for all the rubber pieces and brake fluid. I had the hone and it did a wonderful job cleaning up the cylinders. This came out to $50 vs the $510 for new cylinders. I think this might apply to our Porsche's also.

Bruce Coen
356 Fan

To sleeve or not to sleeve

#3 Post by Bruce Coen »

Hi Matt,

Bill Brown can exchange your old cylinders for rebuilt original ones sleeved with stainless steel. Because its stainless steel, you can be pretty certain that you will never have to worry about corroded wheel cylinders again. $450 will get a full set of 6 shipped to you.
( TheSamba.com Ad number: 585934 )

Or, you can buy new repro cylinders from NLA /Stoddard for $60 each plus shipping. If you use modern brake fluid and change it every couple of years, corrosion shouldn't be a problem.

If you're like me and $$$$$$ is always a factor, save a few bucks and go with the repros.

If you can afford a few more bucks for Bill's stainless sleeved ones, that seems like the way to go.

bc
Bruce Coen
1965 Coupe #219262
2000 911 Cabriolet