Knob color (besides black)

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

Knob color (besides black)

#1 Post by Chuck House »

There've been a few posts lately on knob color, i.e. ivory or gray. I don’t know of any ACCURATE simple formula until you get to the B/Cs (easy, they are black). It depends on year, interior and exterior color and sometime they did what they wanted. I have a white pre-A Speedster with black interior and it originally had gray knobs and steering wheel. I also have a unrestored Ivory ConvD with black interior and it has Ivory knobs. Does anyone think they have a real formula for what the factory did?
Chuck House
Southern California

Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

knobs

#2 Post by Eric Meyer »

There are also pretty strong variations between various greys and ivories.

I have seen knobs that are grey... and also knobs that are a greenish grey "snot" color... for lack of a better color description. It is a slightly translucent greenish grey and significantly different than just grey. This color I have only found on 54 or 55 cars.

I know of several variations on the ivory color too... some yellower... and some tanner than others. Hard to see the variations unless you have them in front of you. Maybe it is just the age of the plastic... the color changes depending on how the car was stored.

It would be nice to see one single photo with all the various color variations in it.

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: knobs

#3 Post by Chuck House »

Eric Meyer wrote: I know of several variations on the ivory color too... some yellower... and some tanner than others. Hard to see the variations unless you have them in front of you. Maybe it is just the age of the plastic... the color changes depending on how the car was stored.

It would be nice to see one single photo with all the various color variations in it.
A lot of the variation in the ivory is age and oxidation. They tend to get whiter with age and you can sand or use lacquer thinner to get to the real color. However I agree that there must be some variation in color from early to late. Also, oxidized gray knobs start to look like ivory.
Chuck House
Southern California