Revisiting "hard to start warm"

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.

Revisiting "hard to start warm"

#1 Post by Guest »

I tried the advice given on a warm start of my 62 S90 coupe. I had run the car about 5 miles before stopping for gas. When I went to start it, I used the "pedal to the floor" technique. Worked fine, started on the second crank, but backfired rather nicely, as well.

I haven't had the car backfire since I had the carbs reworked about 4,000 miles ago. I'm assuming a carb readjustment may take care of the problem of what I think may be a rich mixture causing excess vapors in the exhaust when the car is shut down warm. Then again, I may not have a clue.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Hard starting is embarrassing enough, but when the old tub farts loudly, that's it for me. Jim Slawson, SF Bay area.

John Grant
356 Fan

#2 Post by John Grant »

I pump it a few times on a cold start to get the gas back there.. but a warm start i keep my foot off the pedal until it jumps on .56 speedster

John Lewenauer
356 Fan

Re: Revisiting "hard to start warm"

#3 Post by John Lewenauer »

jim slawson wrote:I tried the advice given on a warm start of my 62 S90 coupe. I had run the car about 5 miles before stopping for gas. When I went to start it, I used the "pedal to the floor" technique. Worked fine, started on the second crank, but backfired rather nicely, as well.

I haven't had the car backfire since I had the carbs reworked about 4,000 miles ago. I'm assuming a carb readjustment may take care of the problem of what I think may be a rich mixture causing excess vapors in the exhaust when the car is shut down warm. Then again, I may not have a clue.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Hard starting is embarrassing enough, but when the old tub farts loudly, that's it for me. Jim Slawson, SF Bay area.
In that situation, I'm not sure I would have put the pedal to the floor. How warm can it get it five miles and a gas fill? I guess as a matter of habit, after the car has been run, I get in, turn the key and if it doesn't start immediately, THEN put the pedal to the floor.
1964 356 C Coupe, Togo/Fawn, Chassis 126634
Enjoy some pictures of my Togo 356 at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603043153749/show/

ed martin
356 Fan

#4 Post by ed martin »

Warm start for me was always difficult. Slow motion of the pedal to the floor did the trick. However, I after leaning out the balance on my carbs, the warm starting problem seems to have disappeared.