Tires - help with "sticky" tires

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.

Tires - help with "sticky" tires

#1 Post by Guest »

Hello all:

The topic of tires has probably been beaten to death - I'll confess that a portion of the beatings may have taken place on my watch. However, I have not seen this particular topic discussed although that may be due to my rather minimal search skills.

My friend Al Zim has suggested rather pointedly, both personally and on the forum, that I should replace my Michelin XZXs that I bought in 12/2001. Since he is my guru and mentor in all things I will follow his advice.

I have stock 4.5" wheels on my C Coupe. I am contemplating (a little anyway) participating in autocross with the local PCA. However, I developed an allergy at an early age to setting fire to money, which may temper or even extinguish my enthusiasm. I am about to throw out rather expensive tires with all of about 13,000 miles on them and probably 70,000 miles of tread left. It has occurred to me that I should simply get the stickiest tire that will work on the street yet let me at least finish a lap or two at an occasional autocross. Since the tires only have to last 10000 to 15000 miles, does this make sense? Specific suggestions as to brand and part number, either here, by email or by PM would be sincerely appreciated. THANKS.

Bill

Roy Thomas
356 Fan

sticky tires

#2 Post by Roy Thomas »

For those brave enough try the new "Speedster Vintage DOT Radials" that Hoosier make, I run them all summer on the 6 inch rims I got on evilbay, they come in sizes starting at 185/65/15 to check them out go to : www.hoosiertire.com
Roy Thomas

Glenn Ring
356 Fan
Tag: On theSamba.com

#3 Post by Glenn Ring »

I've had the same set of Pirelli P6000 Summer tires on my Beetle and this season I noticed a huge loss of traction. After talking to a few people it was pointed out that tires get hard as they get old and since my tires were put on in 1999 it was time to replace them, even though they had plenty of meat left.

So reluctantly I decided to replace them and settled on a set of BF Goodrich G-Force Sports. The difference was night and day.

Tires get old and need to be replaced every 5-7 years whether you use the car or not.

Here's a little comparison I did with info from tirerack.com
Glenn Ring

Restored Bosch Distributors

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#4 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Bill,

165's are the most "correct" tire for your 4.5" rims, and I know originality is not that important for you. It is not recommended to go bigger than a 185, but Al Zim says it's OK to go with the 195's on a 4.5" rim and I don't doubt him. What I am trying to say is that tire options for those running 4.5" rims are getting slim. If you go to 5.5" rims the availability of tires that "fit" go way up, even if your rolling circumference is off from original.

Best,
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Glenn Ring
356 Fan
Tag: On theSamba.com

#5 Post by Glenn Ring »

I have 5.5x15 alloys.

Agreed... a 185/70-15 is as wide as i'd go with a 4.5x15 wheel.
Glenn Ring

Restored Bosch Distributors

Michael Eker

tires

#6 Post by Michael Eker »

If you don't wear out a set of tires in 6 years then I suppose it isn't economic to buy a new

set of Michelin XZX radials and chuck them out half worn.

These tires are inexpensive and available.

http://www.bfyobsoleteparts.com/165x15- ... -1520.html

A newish "cheap" tire is probably safer than an old expensive one.

meker

Re: tires

#7 Post by Guest »

Thanks. The XZX is NLA and hardly seems worth it given the mileage I put on the car. I appreciate your help!
Michael Eker wrote:If you don't wear out a set of tires in 6 years then I suppose it isn't economic to buy a new

set of Michelin XZX radials and chuck them out half worn.

These tires are inexpensive and available.

http://www.bfyobsoleteparts.com/165x15- ... -1520.html

A newish "cheap" tire is probably safer than an old expensive one.

meker
Last edited by Guest on Tue May 13, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#8 Post by David Jones »

Bill;
I have raced on slicks and on street radials. Slicks are relatively speaking sticky but not as forgiving as street radials. The stickier the tire the faster you are going when it breaks away and for a street car that is not a good thing. One wants a tire that will give plenty of warning. I found that the Kumho was one of the best tires for the price and in autocross use was very compliant to tuning by using different tire pressures. This of course is true of any tire so my advice would be to buy the cheapest tire you can find with the fastest wearing tread then go out and try and wear them out. I guarantee at the rather slow speeds you corner at in most autocrosses you will not need a really "sticky" tire it will only slow you down unless you have large reserves of power.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Michael Eker

tires

#9 Post by Michael Eker »

Michelin XZX tires are still made but for some reason they are no longer imported to the

states.

http://www.michelin-passion.com/passion ... sp?lang=EN

I think that Pirelli Cinturato tyres look better on a 356 than the Michelins anyway.

Pirelli have recently restarted making classic sizes and importing them to the US.

See: http://www.lucasclassictires.com/PIRELLI_OPEN.html

Interestingly they say more sizes are to be added.

For what it is worth I have had both Pirellis and Michelins on various classic cars I have

owned. The Pirellis wear faster than the Michelins but grip much better in the wet.

For this reason alone I prefer them.

meker