Bolt color for the hood and trunk hinges?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Finburgh
356 Fan

#1 Post by Dave Finburgh »

I have noticed that several friends 356's have the body color painted on the bolts that hold on the front hood hinges and rear trunk hinges. Is this original to the car and for all years or were they left unpainted?

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#2 Post by Norm Miller »

Dave,

They are all painted body color. The hinges are body color to the joint and then chassis black.
Door hinge bolts are body color too. The striker plate screws are black.

Norm

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#3 Post by Barry Brisco »

It is my understanding that those bolts were painted by the factory
across all years, or at least starting with the A model (I don't know
the details of the earlier cars).

Barry

At 16:44 -0700 5/11/08, Dave Finburgh wrote:
I have noticed that several friends 356's have the body color
painted on the bolts that hold on the front hood hinges and rear
trunk hinges. Is this original to the car and for all years or were
they left unpainted?

-------------------- m2f --------------------

To contact an administrator admin@356registry.com
To unsubscribe go to http://www.356registry.com/forum/m2f_usercp.php
Read this topic online here:
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5471#5471

-------------------- m2f --------------------
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Bolt color for the hood and trunk hinges?

#4 Post by Chuck House »

Dave Finburgh wrote:I have noticed that several friends 356's have the body color painted on the bolts that hold on the front hood hinges and rear trunk hinges. Is this original to the car and for all years or were they left unpainted?
Here's a photo of a '56 coupe that has all original paint. You can see the hinge detail. Also note that Reutter cars did not use washers under the nuts. By contrast, Drauz cars had both flat and lock washers. Don't get thrown by the undercoating on the bottom of the hood, it's a very early '56 thing only.
Chuck House
Southern California

Dave Finburgh
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dave Finburgh »

Thanks Chuck and other posters, That's very helpful. My '65 C now has the bolts painted, but I have also seen many cars of this vintage without the paint, I guess they were not painted by whoever did the resto.

Robert Harrington
356 Fan

#6 Post by Robert Harrington »

In the film 'Made By Hand' the painting segment shows the workers painting the car with the doors and lids on the car wherein the bolts would be painted as part of the process. It seems easier to me though to paint the jams etc. with the doors and lids on a separate frame which allows easy access to hard to reach places - at least that is what I have done in the past - and then paint the bolts later. I would like to hear what order some of you do in this regard - I am quite willing to try it another way. Also, this part of the video seems like it might be staged just a bit for the video.... I can't see taking expensive camera equipment into a paint booth to shoot footage while paint vapors are in the air. Comments?

Robert Harrington

Robert Harrington

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

Re: Bolt color for the hood and trunk hinges?

#7 Post by Roy Smalley »

Robert Harrington wrote:In the film 'Made By Hand' the painting segment shows the workers painting the car with the doors and lids on the car wherein the bolts would be painted as part of the process. It seems easier to me though to paint the jams etc. with the doors and lids on a separate frame which allows easy access to hard to reach places - at least that is what I have done in the past - and then paint the bolts later. I would like to hear what order some of you do in this regard - I am quite willing to try it another way. Also, this part of the video seems like it might be staged just a bit for the video.... I can't see taking expensive camera equipment into a paint booth to shoot footage while paint vapors are in the air. Comments?

Robert Harrington

I expect it is very staged. There is no way to paint panels complete as they were originally, on the car. At a minimum the inner sections that are not accessible must be cut in, which some practice. I don't; I paint panels off the body, but use extreme care to keep paint well mixed all during application, and paint direction consistent from the body across the panels, especially the doors as they will be the most visible and show every variance that might be caused during the paint process. I hang doors horizontally, hoods flat (tricky to get both sides painted at once), deck lid hang, and bumpers the best way to get the inside painted completely with the outside. Either cut in or panels off the car will work if you are careful.
(These parts can be painted on the body in most cases and it makes a lot of sense so to not have to refit everything; deck lid latch receiver, hood latch receiver…which can be body color under black depending upon model year… door hinge and bolts that mount onto the body. Off the car deck lid, hood, doors, bumpers, torsion bar covers, hinge covers, bolts to attach and touch up with a brush…just like the factory). In my opinion, no claim to any particular expertise.

Roy Smalley

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#8 Post by Tom Scott »

List, I have had the good fortune to examine several original, unpainted 356's and it is appparent to me that the hood, engine lid and door hinge bolts, washers and nuts were all painted using a small brush with body color paint. This process at the factory was somewhat crude with little attention to detail. The bolts, washers and nuts which secure the hood and engine lid hinges to the body were also hand painted, satin/semigloss black, as were the bolts on the gas tank straps and seat rail stand nuts, washers and studs. There are a few others but I can't recall what they are, I will post these as I think of them.
Dr. Nuts

On Tue May 13 22:39 , "Roy Smalley" sent:

Robert Harrington wrote:
In the film 'Made By Hand' the painting segment shows the workers painting the car with the doors and lids on the car wherein the bolts would be painted as part of the process. It seems easier to me though to paint the jams etc. with the doors and lids on a separate frame which allows easy access to hard to reach places - at least that is what I have done in the past - and then paint the bolts later. I would like to hear what order some of you do in this regard - I am quite willing to try it another way. Also, this part of the video seems like it might be staged just a bit for the video.... I can't see taking expensive camera equipment into a paint booth to shoot footage while paint vapors are in the air. Comments?

Robert Harrington
I expect it is very staged. There is no way to paint panels complete as they were originally, on the car. At a minimum the inner sections that are not accessible must be cut in, which some practice. I don't; I paint panels off the body, but use extreme care to keep paint well mixed all during application, and paint direction consistent from the body across the panels, especially the doors as they will be the most visible and show every variance that might be caused during the paint process. I hang doors horizontally, hoods flat (tricky to get both sides painted at once), deck lid hang, and bumpers the best way to get the inside painted completely with the outside. Either cut in or panels off the car will work if you are careful.
(These parts can be painted on the body in most cases and it makes a lot of sense so to not have to refit everything; deck lid latch receiver, hood latch receiver…which can be body color under black depending upon model year… door hinge and bolts that mount onto the body. Off the car deck lid, hood, doors, bumpers, torsion bar covers, hinge covers, bolts to attach and touch up with a brush…just like the factory). In my opinion, no claim to any particular expertise.

Roy Smalley

=

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

Hinge bolt painting

#9 Post by Roy Smalley »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom Scott wrote:
List, I have had the good fortune to examine several original, unpainted 356's and it is appparent to me that the hood, engine lid and door hinge bolts, washers and nuts were all painted using a small brush with body color paint. This process at the factory was somewhat crude with little attention to detail. The bolts, washers and nuts which secure the hood and engine lid hinges to the body were also hand painted, satin/semigloss black, as were the bolts on the gas tank straps and seat rail stand nuts, washers and studs. There are a few others but I can't recall what they are, I will post these as I think of them.
Dr. Nuts

I agree. Crude, but that does not take away from what a Porsche, is. There is no hard and fast rule that applies to a specific car manufacturer on this and many other issues that relate specifically to non mechanical parts of the car, which do tend to be more standard. I am not trying to be argumentative or that I have a superior input, but at the same time, people should not be left with the impression that there are absolutes and become overly obsessive when there is no absolute. All 356's are now more than 40 years old, they were hand made before quality reproducibility standards were the norm and unless I was standing there when something was done to a car I have no factual basis whether this or that was consistently performed, or not.
Originality is a good thing, but in many areas it is just an educated, perhaps, guess.

Dave Finburgh
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dave Finburgh »

Roy,
Are you painting the bolts once attached to the car by hand with a brush? I am contemplating doing that on my Cab which currently has some of the bolts unpainted . Doesn't seem like it would be very hard to do and I don't see why it would come out poorly.

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

Painting bolts

#11 Post by Roy Smalley »

Dave Finburgh wrote:Roy,
Are you painting the bolts once attached to the car by hand with a brush? I am contemplating doing that on my Cab which currently has some of the bolts unpainted . Doesn't seem like it would be very hard to do and I don't see why it would come out poorly.
Off the car, bolts and washers. Don't load them up with paint and if you chip them touch them up. Brush will work too.

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#12 Post by Roy Smalley »

Dave Finburgh wrote:Roy,

....on the car, leave them there and brush.