Steering dampner

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

Steering dampner

#1 Post by Mark Roth »

I have installed a Koni steering dampner on my car. When I hit a bump, there is a shudder in the steering wheel. Not big enough to jerk the steering wheel but enough to be annoying. I don't have that on the other car. Can this be fixed by adjusting the Koni? If so, harder or softer and how to adjust? I remember seeing an adjustment post recently, but it may have been on the old talk list.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

John Lewenauer
356 Fan

Re: Steering dampner

#2 Post by John Lewenauer »

Mark Roth wrote:I have installed a Koni steering dampner on my car. When I hit a bump, there is a shudder in the steering wheel. Not big enough to jerk the steering wheel but enough to be annoying. I don't have that on the other car. Can this be fixed by adjusting the Koni? If so, harder or softer and how to adjust? I remember seeing an adjustment post recently, but it may have been on the old talk list.
I just changed the damper on my car last night. Boge from Stoddard (twentysome bucks). Mine looked like it was the original one and once in awhile over a railroad track or surprise pothole the steering wheel would vibrate. So, I thought for the low cost I'd replace it. The old one was surprisingly in good shape, no leaks and plenty of resistance. I thought I was getting dirty and wasting money for nothing, but put the new one in anyway. The one mounting point bushing on the old one was quite worn. Drove the car today with the new damper, there is a difference. No unwanted vibrations or unwanted feel in the steering wheel. Very stable, precise and quiet. I was pleasantly surprised. I attribute it to the new bushings (no play) and somewhat greater resistance in the new damper.

1964 356 C Coupe, Togo/Fawn, Chassis 126634
Enjoy some pictures of my Togo 356 at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603043153749/show/

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

Steering dampner

#3 Post by Mark Roth »

Took the Koni off and discovered that it came set at the softest setting. Adjusted it to the middle of the adjustment and it works like it should. Didn't experiment further. Told this to another 356 owner today who stated that he had just installed a new Koni and had the same symptoms I did. Apparantly, the Koni dampners come set at the softest setting. Don't recall if there is something in the paperwork that discusses adjusting the dampner before installing.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

E Ray Knight
356 Fan

#4 Post by E Ray Knight »

Make sure your kingpins and linkpins are not too sloppy. A good steering damper can mask some steering shimmy due to worn king and linkpins. If your car is old or tired enough to need a steering damper, it might need a more complete front end rebuild. Then you have to get dirty and spend money only once, just more dirt, more grease, more time, more work, and or a lot more money. Ray Knight

Joost van der Velden
356 Fan

#5 Post by Joost van der Velden »

I have just bought a Koni damper from NLA. How should it be adjusted exactly to have a good feeling?

Thanks
Joost
Porsche 356 BT6 S90 1962
VW Beetle 1302S 1971
Porsche 911 SC 1980