Por 15 ( I can see poss upsetting a few :-) )

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.

#1 Post by Guest »

So I have seen some of this stuff on a car yesterday and I was shocked how dam tough this stuff is!!

So any one used it..

what's it's down points and it's up points..

I have heard it needs abit of rust to adhear to ..i was thinking of using it on nice clean bare metal to protect it.. any good or will it fall off!!

what's your view points.. I was thinking of painting the inside of the car..liek the floor area and then spray a colour over the top..

Jon Wright
356 Fan

#2 Post by Jon Wright »

Mark, the stuff is tough and good! I've used it. Down side - Don't get it on you and mask when you apply. Make sure your surface is clean of debris. READ THEIR DIRECTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM - - THEY ARE AVAILABLE ON THEIR WEB SITE. Up side, you won't have to worry about that metal portion it is applied to for the rest of your life. Another is that it is tough as nails, you can hit with a hammer and not chip it. Really. Amazing stuff.

#3 Post by Guest »

Cheers Jon, I was very impressed with it when I saw it yesterday.. just woundered about it's down points..

oh and I heard about don't get it on you... from some one who had it on them for a week!!!!! :D

Glenn Ring
356 Fan
Tag: On theSamba.com

#4 Post by Glenn Ring »

I've used POR 15 when I first started my resto, but switched to MasterSeries and found it much better and tougher.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=564132

Chuck Pisconski sells it and is a hard core Split Window Beetle guy. It's also nice to support someone who's in the hobby.
Glenn Ring

Restored Bosch Distributors

Gerry McCarthy
356 Fan

#5 Post by Gerry McCarthy »

All:
Only warning I have RE: POR15, it has, zero, nada, 0, UV resistance. If you use it on other than the underside of your 356,overcoat it with a UV resistant paint. I used it on a decorative post lamp, which turned to dust in 3 years. If I had enameled over it, I would still have my 90-100 year-old Dietz lamp, not a brass Chinese repro. MY FAULT!
KTF
Gerry Mc.

----- Original Message ----
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Sent: Thursday, May 8, 2008 7:20:05 PM
Subject: [356Talk] Por 15 ( I can see poss upsetting a few :-) )

Mark, the stuff is tough and good! I've used it. Down side - Don't get it on you and mask when you apply. Make sure your surface is clean of debris. READ THEIR DIRECTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM - - THEY ARE AVAILABLE ON THEIR WEB SITE. Up side, you won't have to worry about that metal portion it is applied to for the rest of your life. Another is that it is tough as nails, you can hit with a hammer and not chip it. Really. Amazing stuff.

------------------------
Jon Wright

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Gerry Mc

Glenn Ring
356 Fan

Re: Por 15 ( I can see poss upsetting a few :-) )

#6 Post by Glenn Ring »

Gerry McCarthy wrote:All:
Only warning I have RE: POR15, it has, zero, nada, 0, UV resistance.
The Chassis Black needs to be top coated. They say that in their instructions.

Bot some are UV resistant. I used their Stirling Silver on the back of my bumpers and 5 years later that are still looking like new.

Glenn Ring

#7 Post by Guest »

Oh ok it's looking a good option.. ok what about painting over the top with a 2 pack paint will it react with that ?

I was thinking of painting the underside of the car and then a shot of the underseal over the top.. Painting the trunk area and then a shot of the 2pk colour painting the floor on the inside and then a shot of 2pk satin black or gloss

There are some reports of Por15 on the net being bad but I had the same when I researched the POR15 tank seal kit... I did use it in the end and it's been by far the best treatment I have ever used as long as you do what it says on the tin!!

#8 Post by Guest »

I forgot to mention we have these guys here in the UK

http://www.rust.co.uk/

I spoke with the guy in depth about the products at a trade show and I bought some of his 121 paint. I have yet to use it.. I just wounder if it's the same tpye of paint to POR15

Johnny Graham
356 Fan

#9 Post by Johnny Graham »

Hi Mark

See my thread here too.
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

It is tough stuff, right enough. I used it hoping it would slow surface rust right down, but I dont buy the theory that it is a cure. If you dont get the surface prep right it just peels off. I bought it from frost.co.uk, free delivery over 70 quid.

My tip to add to the others - when painting the underside, wear full face mask and rubber gloves with your overalls with the cuffs taped over with gaffer tape.

I had to go to work next day with black wrists - I'm a Doctor - and only just avoided accompanying the wrists with the Adam Ant look, after a drip landed near my eye and I smeared it away. I ran into the house shouting to my wife 'get it off me, get it off me!

You have been warned :D
Cheers!
Johnny

1965 356C Bahama yellow outlaw driver #222499
1989 911C4 daily driver
1984 M-B 280E W123 Morrocan taxi
1985 Citroen 2CV

#10 Post by Guest »

:D :D Cheers Johnny

I think I am going to go the 121 method from Rust.co.uk but I must make sure I do it 100% by the book... metal prep and all that.

Bartz Schneider
356 Fan

POR-15 vs. Zero Rust

#11 Post by Bartz Schneider »

Another downside of POR is you can only use a can once. Don't bother trying to use it again, since you will never get the can open. I have used a very similar product called Zero Rust, which seems to work as well as POR but does not have this problem.
Bartz Schneider

Glenn Ring
356 Fan

Re: POR-15 vs. Zero Rust

#12 Post by Glenn Ring »

Bartz Schneider wrote:Another downside of POR is you can only use a can once. Don't bother trying to use it again, since you will never get the can open. I have used a very similar product called Zero Rust, which seems to work as well as POR but does not have this problem.
I used a coffee scoop or small cup to remove only the POR 15 I need and keep the rim clean. You can also put some plastic wrap over the can and then put the lid it.

I've resued the same can a number of times with no problem.
Glenn Ring

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

Re: POR-15 vs. Zero Rust

#13 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Bartz Schneider wrote:Another downside of POR is you can only use a can once. Don't bother trying to use it again, since you will never get the can open. I have used a very similar product called Zero Rust, which seems to work as well as POR but does not have this problem.
Hi Bartz

When, putting the lid back on the can, use a sheet of Saranwrap or an equivalent between the lid and the can. That will allow the lid to be removed the next time. Make damn sure you have gloves on whenever you are near the can, open or not, though!!!!!!!!

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Bud Osbourne
356 Fan

#14 Post by Bud Osbourne »

Scheesh, Bartz.....ya gotta think this one through. After opening and
using part of a can of POR-15, you need to wipe the stuff out of the
groove where the lid seals. Also, I place some plastic wrap (Glad Wrap,
I think) across the top of the can, leaving some slack/sag in the
middle, which the lid will pull tight when it is hammered shut. Then,
put it in a refrigerator. It'll keep very well, and you'll have no
problems opening the can the next time you want to use it.
The reason you can't get the can open, again, after using POR-15
(besides the obvious), is that it is STRONG stuff. This is a GOOD
thing, right?
Bud Osbourne
356Burgh

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 3:00 PM
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Subject: [356Talk] Por 15 ( I can see poss upsetting a few :-) )

Another downside of POR is you can only use a can once. Don't bother
trying to use it again, since you will never get the can open. I have
used a very similar product called Zero Rust, which seems to work as
well as POR but does not have this problem.

------------------------
Bartz Schneider

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Bud Osbourne

charles kourmpates

Not upset at all!

#15 Post by charles kourmpates »

Everyone certainly has the legal right to use whatever products they choose or select on their cars. Even professionals. Fine by me, be my guest and knock yourself out. :mrgreen:

However, If I were paid to do a PPI on a 356, and I have been paid to do PPIs on 356s, I'd consider the use of POR-15 as a negative. Absolutely NOT a positive. Sorry.

In fact, knowing me, I'd place that car on the bottom of the "alternatives" or "last resort" list, :shock:

So, I would suggest, if ever so slightly or remotely, you're considering selling your 356, I'd recommend the use of some other material or a more practical solution to the rust issue.

Be interesting to know what other PPIs feel about the use of a "cover-up" product?

Charles