Door Chrome Strip Profile Fitting Issue

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Charles Foster
356 Fan

Door Chrome Strip Profile Fitting Issue

#1 Post by Charles Foster »

Group (can I still say List?):

I'm reassembling a 64 Karmann Coupe. Having a dickens of a time fitting the chrome strips on the door tops - the holes in the strips just don't line up with the door holes any more. I think I've narrowed the problem down to the reproduction door top profile strips I bought from Stoddard (PN 644 531 951 00). They have a cross sectional profile something like

0-0

That is to say the inboard ridge has the same diameter as the outboard ridge.

Examining my original profiles, the inboard ridge has a significantly smaller diameter. I was able to fit the chrome strip to the door using the old profile with no problems; too bad, like so many other things in life, the old profile has shortened with age and can't be reused.

So does someone make a version of 644 531 951 00 that more closely corresponds to the original? Or should I methodically "shave" the profile? I really don't want to drill extra holes in my door if possible.

Any advice appreciated!
Charles

64 SC Coupe
65 C Coupe
 --
Charles Foster
http://www.northforkdesigns.net/porsche356/

Ron Hoff
356 Fan

#2 Post by Ron Hoff »

I just recently went thru this process myself. I found the best way for me was to simply drill some new holes as the furry strip which I replaced also was far thicker that the OEM part. This necessitated repositioning slightly downward to get enough clearance for the window to close or open. I did a full repaint so the old holes were well sealed so I didn't have any issues with future rusting. I then used #4 SS flathead screws (short!) to replace the old screws. My car is a 63 coupe and is intended to be a driver so I'm not concerned with concours stuff. Hope this helps. If I've confused you give me a call: 503-543-6750.
Ron Hoff
NW Oregon

Larry E Trimmer
356 Fan

#3 Post by Larry E Trimmer »

I also just did mine in the last month and at first I had trouble but found the rubber bead I was using was a larger diameter "o" and was intended for the front hood chrome beading. After I found the correct pc all went well. The trouble I had was the same bead pc that fits under the vent window, it won;t get tight enough to stay put. I am using the original chrome pc that I had re chromed, I was told that the chrome pc was unavailable from Stoddards.

Larry