Radio conversion to Satellite XM and MP3??

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#1 Post by David Jones »

Anyone had this conversion done and if so where and what did it entail. I have a Sapphire V I would like to convert (12 volt)
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Ashley Page
356 Fan

Re: Radio conversion to Satellite XM and MP3??

#2 Post by Ashley Page »

Hugh David Jones wrote:Anyone had this conversion done and if so where and what did it entail. I have a Sapphire V I would like to convert (12 volt)
I am interested in the same thing. I have a period AM Blaupkunt (spelling??) that I would like to convert.

There is one guy on ebay who has auctions every week.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage- ... enameZWDVW

There is another in Germany
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche- ... .m20.l1116

I don't know if the German company does the XM MP3 conversions.

If you here of anything please post here.

Thanks

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brad Ripley »

We have an exchange program for Blaupunkt radios converted to AM/FM stereo. This involves removing "the guts" of the radio and installing a circuit board and a voltage converter in the original power supply box (box on the back). The radio runs on 12 volts. If your car is still 6 volts, then 6 volts goes in the rear box. If your car is 12 volts, then either remove the rear box and/or put 12 volts directly into the main chassis. This produces a radio with 45 watts/channel, or a total of 180 watts. Circuitry is Phase Lock Loop which gives a strong signal and no fading.

In the process, a input kit is installed to allow CD, MP3, iPod, Satellite Radio or cassette playback. The only outward appearance changes are the wires to the speakers plus, on the backside, input jacks for the MP3, etc.

At present, we inventory only Blaupunkt Frankurt US models (FM: 88 - 108 MHz). Price is $695. /exchange. Core deposit is $300., like for like.
Brad Ripley Stoddard NLA, LLC 1-800-438-8119

Other models can be done but delivery time runs 6 - 8 weeks.

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ashley Page »

Brad Ripley wrote:We have an exchange program for Blaupunkt radios converted to AM/FM stereo. This involves removing "the guts" of the radio and installing a circuit board and a voltage converter in the original power supply box (box on the back). The radio runs on 12 volts. If your car is still 6 volts, then 6 volts goes in the rear box. If your car is 12 volts, then either remove the rear box and/or put 12 volts directly into the main chassis. This produces a radio with 45 watts/channel, or a total of 180 watts. Circuitry is Phase Lock Loop which gives a strong signal and no fading.

In the process, a input kit is installed to allow CD, MP3, iPod, Satellite Radio or cassette playback. The only outward appearance changes are the wires to the speakers plus, on the backside, input jacks for the MP3, etc.

At present, we inventory only Blaupunkt Frankurt US models (FM: 88 - 108 MHz). Price is $695. /exchange. Core deposit is $300., like for like.
Brad Ripley Stoddard NLA, LLC 1-800-438-8119

Other models can be done but delivery time runs 6 - 8 weeks.
Brad

Thanks for this information. In my case I don't even need the radio to work as I only use XM. I would need just an amp to handle the XM input plus a on / off / volume knob.

The dial can be frozen in place and the channel buttons non functional.

Is this possible? Cost?

Thanks

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Neil »

Here's the "correct" radio from the U.S. ebay seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage- ... dZViewItem

It has ipod inputs and I am pretty sure it works for sat radio. Not a nice as a Blaupunkt with modern guts, but very easy and practical. I have one of these in my car.
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Russ Collins
356 Fan

#6 Post by Russ Collins »

This may have been covered before, but i'm new to this list so please bear with me. I just installed an audio input jack (shorting type) on the side of my '59 Blaupunkt and it works better than i thought. Of course it's not stereo but it sounds better than the radio's "over the air" audio, is plenty loud, and it keeps the radio's "stockness". All it takes is several dollars in parts and several spare hours. Just plugging in an iPhone, for example, stops the radio's "over the air" audio and plays the iPhone (or XM, or MP3) audio.

Russ.

Ashley Page
356 Fan

Re: Radio conversion to Satellite XM and MP3??

#7 Post by Ashley Page »

Russ Collins wrote:I just installed an audio input jack (shorting type) on the side of my '59 Blaupunkt and it works better than i thought. All it takes is several dollars in parts and several spare hours. Just plugging in an iPhone, for example, stops the radio's "over the air" audio and plays the iPhone (or XM, or MP3) audio.

Russ.
Ah..... I see you are new to the forum. In a case like this the requirement is that you post the complete parts list (with sources) and a diagram with instructions that even and idiot could understand. And that you be available to answer "how did he do it" questions.

Anything less would be considered in bad taste.

Speeking for:
Your new pals on the forum

With kind regards

Russ Collins
356 Fan

#8 Post by Russ Collins »

Figures my first post to the list would be considered in bad taste... Sorry, won't happen again.

Russ.

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ashley Page »

Russ Collins wrote:Figures my first post to the list would be considered in bad taste... Sorry, won't happen again.

Russ.
No No

I was trying to be funny. Backfired. Shot hole in foot. Sorry.

Would like to know how you did ti though.

Russ Collins
356 Fan

#10 Post by Russ Collins »

Second post, hopefully not bad taste. :)

I had to go back and look inside the radio to remember what i had done. It was a miniature stereo shorting phone jack, two 100 ohm 1/8 watt resistors, and two .01 Mfd, 50 volt capacitors, all from Radio Shack. The resistors and capacitors mount on the jack which is mounted on the side of the radio. Then audio from the radio is routed to the jack. On the Blaupunkt, I disconnected the wire from the top of the volume control and extended it to the jack using hookup wire. Then from the jack back to the volume control. That's it. I stuff my iPhone in the glove box and route the cable out the back. If anyone's interested, E-mail me and i can open up the radio again to take some photos and provide a schematic.

Russ.

#11 Post by Guest »

I read Russ's story of what seems to me like a great idea. At my request he has written a first rate description of what he did and how he did it, complete with diagrams and photos. Russ deserves a lot of credit for doing this for us, his fellow members. The article will eventually be added to the technical pages by Barry Brisco, but, for now, Brian has created a link to it here: http://356registry.com/temp/aai.pdf. Please note that for about $5 worth of parts and a little effort, probably within the skill set of many members, Russ can now play an MP3 player (Ipod for example) through his stock radio. He has informed me that the same plug that he built should work with any radio with a rotary volume control.

Russ deserves a lot of credit for this nice contribution to our knowledge base.

Bill

Kevin Wiggins
356 Fan
Tag: Fight the Power!

#12 Post by Kevin Wiggins »

Thats great and much appreciated!
Fight the Power!

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#13 Post by Ashley Page »

Russ, thanks very much for the easy to follow instructions. This is a project I am going to attempt after my car is back together.

Russ Collins
356 Fan

#14 Post by Russ Collins »

Ashley,

Glad to help. Good luck with it and let me know if you have any questions.

Russ.
Russ

#15 Post by Guest »

Can the radio below be modified with the external jack?