Radio conversion to Satellite XM and MP3??

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Russ Collins
356 Fan

#16 Post by Russ Collins »

Jim,

Great photos, but hard to determine exactly what they show. The red wire on the left in the first photo looks like it might be the volume control lead to use. Worth a try.

Russ.
Russ

#17 Post by Guest »

Thanks Russ, I'll give it a try.

#18 Post by Guest »

Russ,

Is this picture any better. Any more input would be great.

Russ Collins
356 Fan

#19 Post by Russ Collins »

Jim,

The photo helps -- now 85% sure it's the red lead from the capacitor on the right (the tube-shaped thingy).

Russ.
Russ

#20 Post by Guest »

Russ,

As a test, if I have the radio on the bench and powered on and listening to a station, when I cut that red wire to the tunnel cap, should radio go quite? Since the new circuit is added between the cap and the lug it was cut from, I would assume when breaking that circuit, there would be quiet until either adding the new input or completing the circuit again.

When I cut the red lead from the cap, the radio still plays.

I have the schematics on this unit. Do you know what lead I should be looking for (functionally speaking)?

Russ Collins
356 Fan

#21 Post by Russ Collins »

Jim,

I looked at the schematics, but there seems to be a piece missing in the lower right of the second schematic, to the right of where it says "AF Amplifier". Anyway, you are right, if you remove the correct wire, the radio will go quiet. It should be the wire that runs to the side of the volume control that is not grounded.

Russ.
Russ

#22 Post by Guest »

Russ,

I'll look for the rest of the schematic. I did cut the red wire to the cap #2 on the picture. The radio still plays when I did that. Are you thinking the other red wire to the same lug?

Russ Collins
356 Fan

#23 Post by Russ Collins »

Jim,

It's either that wire; or if the control we're looking at is the tone control and not the volume control, then it may be the black wire on the right side of the other control in the background of the photo.

Russ.
Russ

#24 Post by Guest »

The control in the pic, is the volume and on/off control. The terminals for the on/off functions are not in the pic. There are a lot of wires going to this very basic control. I, re-solder the cap wire, and try the other. I'm heading to the West Coast Holiday, so won't get to it for a while. Thanks for your help.

Jim