Ship 356 part to Europe-best way?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

Ship 356 part to Europe-best way?

#1 Post by Tom Coughlin »

I need to ship a 356 part to Europe. What's the most cost effective way? Thanks in advance. Tom
 KTF, member #15

Dave Mitchell
356 Fan

#2 Post by Dave Mitchell »

How big of a part? I have had real sucess using the USPS from fan shrouds to crankshafts. Go online and set yourself up an account. You can pay the charges and print the customs documents right from home. You can order supplies like boxes and they will ship them to you for free. You can even package up the stuff and have your letter carrier pick up everyhting other than overseas packages. Those you have to drop off at your local PO but if you have done everything already all you have to do is hand the package to the clerk and say thank you!

I recently had 37 items listed on e-bay and almost half went out of the country. EVERYTHING was recieved on time and undamaged.

Just my $.02 by a happy customer.

BTW FedEx was a real problem fo both me and the new owner of a seaback from an "A" I sent to Canada last year.
Dave Mitchell
356 Registry Member #15707
Early 911S Registry Member #1287
Got Scrap? 510-715-7896

Soon to be a IM-6 Owner
http://photobucket.com/IM-6build

Michael Eker

US mail

#3 Post by Michael Eker »

I have bought many items in the US and had them shipped to Europe.

From a Bose hifi system for an Audi to half price Mahle P&Cs for a 356.

I always use USPS, it is the cheapest, but not necessarily the fastest.

They haven't lost or damaged anything yet.

Even if they do the next time I have already saved the cost over using dearer shippers.

meker

Martin Hirst
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Hirst »

USPS is also the cheapest clearing customs for the recipient as they work together with other national postal services. It's always worked very well for me but reliability may depend on the destination country.
1962 356B Coupe, Slate Grey
1977 911 Coupe, Minerva Blue

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#5 Post by Mark Pribanic »

I was an International Account Manager for UPS for several years. With that being said I competed for business against USPS, FDX, DHL & freight forwarders. All have their advantages & disadvantages.

So:

What are you shipping?
What is its size & weight?
What country are you shipping to?
What is the value of the item?
How fast do you need it there?

Once I get the answers to these questions I can give you a better recomendation on which to ship as most cost effective
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan

#6 Post by Tom Coughlin »

I'm shipping a pre-A dashboard to Europe-possibly Norway. The box is 4 feet by 1 ft. by 6" and weighs 8 lb. Value $500, speed can vary with price. Thanks, tom
 KTF, member #15

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#7 Post by Mark Pribanic »

tom coughlin wrote:I'm shipping a pre-A dashboard to Europe-possibly Norway. The box is 4 feet by 1 ft. by 6" and weighs 8 lb. Value $500, speed can vary with price. Thanks, tom
If it were me...I would go online and call some freight forwarders for pricing. Perhaps a FF who has a strong presence in Norway. You could also ship it USPS. I would check each carriers website and get a quote....

Hope that helps,

Mark
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Michael Foster
356 Fan

shipping part to Europe

#8 Post by Michael Foster »

USPS (United States Postal Service) works well and beat UPS cost by large margin.

Michael
MICHAEL FOSTER

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan

#9 Post by Tom Coughlin »

The main problem with USPS is that the length of the package is over 22", their max. It's actually 48". Thanks, Tom
 KTF, member #15

Jerry Haussler
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jerry Haussler »

tom coughlin wrote:The main problem with USPS is that the length of the package is over 22", their max. It's actually 48". Thanks, Tom
the max. dimensions are quoted by the destination country. in the case of Norway the max. length is 60 inches. additionally, the max. length + girth is 108 inches. your package is well within these limits. i don't understand where you're getting your information. have you tried www.usps.com ?
best
jerry
...a former USPS employee who had nothing to do w/ field operations in the U.S. or Norway.

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan

#11 Post by Tom Coughlin »

I got my info from the local USPS desk clerk, and thank you for sending me to the website where I found that the max. length is 46" (which this package actually is).
I've printed out the webpage and will visit the local tomorrow. Thank again. Tom
 KTF, member #15