California Black Plate and Year of Manufacture Rules (YOM)

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Farnam
356 Fan

#31 Post by Tom Farnam »

Barry, my earlier post suggested this topic belongs in the "Test Forum", and that was probably not correct. It probably should be in the "Off Topic" Forum, but in either case it does not pertain to 356 Porsche cars, merely to state motor vehicle license laws for older vehicles.

Tom
Tom Farnam C356C Reg. #450
D'Ieteren Roadster 89639
62Roadster at comcast.net
http://www.356registry.org/Members/Farnam/ Racewalking - www.walkingtom.blogspot.com

Shawn Wilson
356 Fan

#32 Post by Shawn Wilson »

Tom Farnam wrote:Barry, please move this topic to the Test Forum, since it has absolutely nothing to do with the Porsche 356 automobile.

It is purely a discussion of California motor vehicle plates for those who wish to use "Antique" or "Vanity" plates, and that is not by any means restricted or limited to 356 series vehicles. The fact that 356 and other models of Porsche autos are affected by it does not make it a 356 topic, therefore it belongs in the Test Forum.

Tom

Barry, my earlier post suggested this topic belongs in the "Test Forum", and that was probably not correct. It probably should be in the "Off Topic" Forum, but in either case it does not pertain to 356 Porsche cars, merely to state motor vehicle license laws for older vehicles.

I hope I did the quote thing right.

Tom. It is this type of thought process that made me quit the 356 board years ago. In ,my opinion it is arrogant for you to force a topic to another area because you do not believe it is correct for this area "Talk" I believe it is very relevant judging by the response. Perhaps there are others that read this section that would like to know this information without navigating around the entire website to find information. Its sparks thought, and that is why we are here, and perhaps can give our advice if we have the knowledge. If no one is interested it will fall to the bottom of the pages and will never get seen, thus fulfilling your thoughts.

Regards

#33 Post by Guest »

Dave,
In California you can put on plates in the correct year of
manufacture, in fact they are called YOM plates. The year
limits might have changed but in the past it was limited to
no newer than 1963, you need 2 plates and the plate has to
show the year of the car. I think the year guide lines have
changed but the other rules still apply. Another good thing
is that there is only a one time charge, at least in the
past, so there is no annual fee. when I did it to my 56
about 3 years ago it was $45. Be patient with the DMV person
she had to do a lot of looking up of rules but finally did
figure it out. I spent about an hour to do this.

Alan

Dave Finburgh wrote:
My '65 Cab came into Calif in the very early 70's and therefore only got
the blue plates.
Is it possible that in '09 I can swap the blue for a black plate at the DMV?

-------------------- m2f --------------------

To contact an administrator admin@356registry.com
<mailto:admin@356registry.com>
To unsubscribe go to http://www.356registry.com/forum/m2f_usercp.php
Read this topic online here:
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9748#9748

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

Robin Hansen
356 Fan

#34 Post by Robin Hansen »

At 03:39 PM 7/3/2008, Shawn Wilson wrote:
Personally, I found it less tedious when all the posts were on
356talk. There may be a tidbit that interests me which doesn't fit in
thecategory.

robin

I hope I did the quote thing right.

Tom. It is this type of thought process that made me quit the 356
board years ago. In ,my opinion it is arrogant for you to force a
topic to another area because you do not believe it is correct for
this area "Talk" I believe it is very relevant judging by the
response. Perhaps there are others that read this section that would
like to know this information without navigating around the entire
website to find information. Its sparks thought, and that is why we
are here, and perhaps can give our advice if we have the knowledge.
If no one is interested it will fall to the bottom of the pages and
will never get seen, thus fulfilling your thoughts.

Regards

To contact an administrator admin@356registry.com
To unsubscribe go to http://www.356registry.com/forum/m2f_usercp.php
Read this topic online here:
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9829#9829

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

JOEL JENSEN

#35 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

All of us fortunate enough to have a 63 car don't need the sticker since it doesn't exist as it is embossed on the plate. This topic has obviously not been 'talked to death', nor is it non-356 related simply because it involves one state ( the one with the most 356's on the planet) or other types of cars. That would mean that discussions of oil types, lubricants, fuels, tires, or anything usable in another vehicle (VW, 912, etc. etc.) doesn't belong here.
Why it is so difficult for some users of this forum to simply pass by a subject that holds no interest is mystifying. I do it many times every day.

Chris Markham
356 Fan
Instagram: @csmarkham

Re: California Black Plate and Year of Manufacture Rules (YO

#36 Post by Chris Markham »

Dave Brenny wrote:I recall that "Secrets of the Inner Circle" by Harry Pellow offered some
information regarding letter sequence for CA black plates.
That's true, and he also (if I may stray a bit from the YOM topic), had his custom "0O0O0O" plates, which are still on Mary's coupe, I believe. Those were/are blue/yellow plates. When I was researching my first set of personal plates for the 59 Coupe, I found that the CA DMV's website for personal plates was using a "CGI" interface. They've since switched to Java. But before that, you could easily coax the system to cough-up ranges and partial searches. I found a couple interesting things that way. The first was that "356 A" was available, and I got it. I later gave that plate up to a car that better suited the plate than my outlaw, replacing it with "WISCHEN", a joke which no one got--am I the only one who read Jenks?--and finally setting on the outlaw-ish "356A GTS". But I digress.

The other thing I learned from the DMV site in 2000 was that they still hadn't sorted out the whole "0" (zero) versus "O" (oh) thing that The Maestro wrote about in Secrets. You could request "000000" (well, no, all-numbers were disallowed, but you get the drift) and the message that went back to the web server was "OOOOOOO". A variety of combinations all yielded the same request--and an approval that the combination was available! I've no idea if the snafu would have been caught before the die was cast (literally), but I like to think that even into the 21st century a cadre of CA 356ers could have implemented The Maestro's Plan for avoiding parking tickets around the state with odd combinations of Ohs and Zeros to foil the insidious meter maid...er, parking enforcement officer.

But, as I said, the DMV's web technology has caught up and they don't use a system that allows for wildcard searches any longer. They also don't allow you to choose a "zero", only an "Oh" (which they display as a zero--go figure). Fun to see what combinations do turn up as still up for grabs, though. Like:

"57 (hand-5-fingers)56A" CA has a kid's "hand", as one character on one plate version)
"60 356B" Really! Go get it, you lucky T5 owner!
"58 SPD(star)" Like the "hand", there's also a "star". Really!
"58 SPED(star)" Even better, eh?
"6(hand) CAB" I bet lots of "#(5)" using the hand combos are available.
"6(hand) CBRIO" See?
"5(hand) SPDTR (And "SPDST", etc.)
"5(hand) SPYDR Wow. I might have to grab that one. But who needs street
tags for their 55 spyder?
"5(hand)0A BCK" Truth in advertising for something that would be street driven.

And of course there are many more if you use your imagination.

Try: https://vrir.dmv.ca.gov/ipp/PerLicensePlateServlet

I now return you to your YOM thread.
Chris M
59 Coupe #106728
'61 "Heinz 57" 1720. Stacks, ceramic headers, Supertrapp, Pertronix, Maestro 24k gold-plate coil strap for speed. Willhoit bar, Skirmants spring. 5" Brazilians. 20' paint w/abundant bubbles, GT straps, grilles.

JOEL JENSEN

#37 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

In response to an offline query I received regarding the existence or lack thereof of a sticker for the 56 plates I offer the following from a long time California plate vendor:

No year sticker in 1956, the 56 is embossed in the plate.
The 1957 sticker is the first year for Calif to have an actual year sticker on a plate. In 1944 there was a 44 windshield sticker, but it went on the windshield.

There actually is a 63 sticker, I have one, but it is slightly smaller than the normal stickers and was used from some very obscure purpose, pro rata plates for semis, or power equipment perhaps. They were and are not required for 63 vehicles.

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#38 Post by Roy Lock »

And the '63 black plate with yellow letters maybe used with '64 and '65 356's as long as they have the appropriate '64 or '65 sticker. That also means that early 911/912's made from '65 to '69 can also run with the '63 black plates.

These stickers are available through plate vendors.

Edit-----

Here's a link that examples the stickers
http://www.calpl8s.com/cgi-bin/show.cgi ... at=sticker
Last edited by Roy Lock on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

JOEL JENSEN

#39 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

Rick Dill wrote :

Joel,

Why is it that you have to carry on the rant? As moderator, I have not

shut down or edited content out of this thread, although it does become

as tedious to some as many other topics.

The content was all in the first sentence which was news, at least to
me. You didn't need to have the rest of the post.

Rick

Rick,
I don't consider it a 'rant' to post factual information that while partially redundant to you, is not to others as the request for the info came from Barry Brisco and I assume is also new info to others. The line 'at least to me' says it all. This forum isn't for the benefit of the moderators but for the users. I am sure you have seen it all, but your function is to keep things civil here and not to determine what is or isn't pertinent to the users. Once again, for you and those who find the subject 'tedious', simply ignore the subject and move on to something that you find of interest.
Joel