Motor Rebuild Cost

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Beam
356 Fan

Motor Rebuild Cost

#1 Post by Jim Beam »

All,
This is a resend as the first one went God-knows-where. Regarding the recent thread as to costs to rebuild motor, I pulled out my old work invoices for the rebuild of my 1963 B Normal in 1986. I specified that I wanted to use original OEM Porsche parts to the extent possible. I seem to remember some discussion about rebuilding to 75 horse power, but I'm not sure that was done.
The car had 108,513 original miles at that time without any major work having been done to the motor. The job also included 12 volt conversion, and a number of other incidental things. Mahle pistons/cylinders were used ($549.00), new camshaft ($269.00), exhaust valves ($138.00), intake valves ($80.00), the list goes on and on. Total cost was $3,481.75, parts and labor. That was a bullet to bite in 1986, considering the car cost me $2,500 when I bought it in 1972, but the car has performed without incident since, although it has been basically a garage queen. It now has 133,000 miles on the odo.
Great little coupe which has added delightful times and pleasures to my life over the years. Money well spent almost twenty-two years ago and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Drive'em - some more than others.
Jim
'63B Coupe
'87 911 Coupe