Speedster seatbelts

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

Re: Speedster seatbelts

#16 Post by Conrad Carter »

Can I buy the retractor for "Y" shoulder harness separate? Looking at racing belts and like ability to slowly lean forward. Really Like the Deist lap belts. How do you get crotch belt w/o cutting hole in seat?
Conrad

Phil Parry
356 Fan

#17 Post by Phil Parry »

Very interested to know if anyone has had any further thoughts on or experiences of seatbelts in speedsters?

Greg posted a really helpful article on installing what I think is best described as 3-point Y-style harnesses (see the Deist catalogue here: http://www.deist.com/pub/DeistSafety_Catalog.pdf

Following that post, David Seeland explained the problem with harnesses pulling up the buckle thus allowing the body to slide down under the lap portion of the belt. He mentioned that he has a 5-point harness in his 912 and what we're all familiar with in his 356 coupe, a 3-point retractable seatbelt. David Jones then posted some images of his version of the latter.

So.... just as I'd read Greg's post and thought "that's it, that's what I'm going to do," David Seeland's post got me thinking again.

I wonder therefore if the solution is much as Greg advised, but using a harness with a crotch strap to counter the problem that David described? There are some examples of these on pages 12 and 16 of the Deist catalogue.

Advice, opinions, experience all very much appreciated.
Phil Parry
Essex, UK

1960 BT5 110563 RHD
1954 Pre A 1500s 1953 model year (project)
1957 Speedster (project)
1972 Original unrestored VW camper

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#18 Post by Greg Scallon »

Hello Phil,
I'm still around, driving the speedster every chance I get.

Regarding the seatbelts I installed, I actually did install an anti-sub crotch belt. It keeps the lap belt positioned low on my waist as it should be and doesn't allow it to ride up onto my abdomen. Like the entire belt set-up overall, I don't believe it's the 100% perfect solution that I'd get from a welded-in set of strengthening belt mounts, but it's nice and secure and seems to do its job. I mounted the anti-sub strap under the seat, back to the two regular seatbelt mounting eyelets. The "V" shaped strap runs directly under the seat. The single crotch strap attaches to the point of the V. In this configuration, the strap comes up right in front of the seat and links easily with the center of the lap belt. It keeps things in place very well. If you'd like a photo, I can dig one up, or go shoot one later this evening. Good luck with your project. Best regards. Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Phil Parry
356 Fan

#19 Post by Phil Parry »

Greg,
Thanks so much. That’s very helpful indeed. I would love to see a photo if it’s not too much trouble. I guess if one wanted to go to the next level, it’s just a case of welding a few backing plates here and there!
Thanks again
Phil
Phil Parry
Essex, UK

1960 BT5 110563 RHD
1954 Pre A 1500s 1953 model year (project)
1957 Speedster (project)
1972 Original unrestored VW camper