Horn Button Backing Plate Removal

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bill Bausser
356 Fan

Horn Button Backing Plate Removal

#1 Post by Bill Bausser »

Any collective wisdom on how to get this bugger off?
3FD21F64-36ED-4C76-8121-CA3740D44E1D.png
3FD21F64-36ED-4C76-8121-CA3740D44E1D.png (868.91 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
Thanking you in advance

Bill

Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: Horn Button Backing Plate Removal

#2 Post by Wes Bender »

If you mean removing it from the steering wheel, you press down real hard and rotate it counterclockwise.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#3 Post by Jim Liberty »

And Wes mean "Real Hard". They can be a bear to get off. ……………….Jim.
Jim Liberty

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

It helps if you have some else hold the steering wheel, or hold it with your knees. you can also carefully spray some WD40 behind it. Normally the little rubber cup is hard as a rock and fused to the wheel, but if softened up works a lot better. You will want to replace it anyway so don't worry about tearing it when you twist the horn button. Also, make sure you grip the pointed ends with your fingers and apply pressure there, rather than with the palm of your hand on the face. I've cracked the horn button disk before, without moving the base, making your problem worse.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

Depending on how your dog, for instance, reacts to a loooong horn blowing, you might want to remove the ground lead at the battery.
EASY Jim is a gold-medalist in getting those off quickly enough that hardly anyone notices. Even with a newish rubber cuff in there, I take the ground lead off.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

John Brooks
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Brooks »

Yea, disconnect the horns, or battery. Press in hard and flat then twist CCW. Just as your think you have broken the wheel, it comes free. The rubber is surprisingly hard aft all these years hiding in the wheel.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#7 Post by Norm Miller »

So, I gather you are trying to remove the backing plate from the horn button which is not attached to the wheel, right?
That can be a project.
Secure the button 3 tabs on a bench with blocks of wood or (?)
Press down firmly on the backing plate and twist it counter-clockwise.
Also, you can try to support the backing plate and press down on the button and twist it counterclockwise. Lots of luck.

Norm
Take it to Porsche headquarters and see if they have any savvy engineers. :D, :(

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Norm Miller wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:07 pm So, I gather you are trying to remove the backing plate from the horn button which is not attached to the wheel, right?
That can be a project.
Secure the button 3 tabs on a bench with blocks of wood or (?)
Press down firmly on the backing plate and twist it counter-clockwise.
Also, you can try to support the backing plate and press down on the button and twist it counterclockwise. Lots of luck.

Norm
Take it to Porsche headquarters and see if they have any savvy engineers. :D, :(
WHAT??? The horn button is glued to the backing plate. No twisting involved!

Bill Bausser
356 Fan

#9 Post by Bill Bausser »

Well guys. Still struggling with this. The horn pad was easy, just like Vic said it was glued and came off real easy. The backing plate, well that’s another story. Ron and John - honking horn is not a problem, it doesn’t work, one of the reasons I’m taking it off. Adam, Jim and Wes it just ain’t moving I put some Wd40 on it. Press and try to turn it and have only gotten about a 1/8 inch or less movement. I succeeded in buggering up one oh the 3 Spears or tabs. If I ever get it off I can try some testers or pop for $50 to Stoddard. How is this thing attached, is some sort of cam action. Reminds me of removing a harmonic balancer in a Ford Big Block. What if I just try to army it out with a couple of big azz slot head screw drivers. I’m taking it to Amelia in a couple of weeks. Maybe I should hold a side contest with some of you guys to give it a try. Getting restless Les Leston wants to get settled

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

It isn't pried off so the screwdrivers won't work. It definitely twists off CCW. If you are going to replace it, maybe try pushing it in as much as you can and tap it with a rubber mallet.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#11 Post by Wes Bender »

As Mike says, prying with a pair of screwdrivers will definitely break it. There are three lugs in detents. The WD-40 should help if you can get it on the lugs themselves. As has been stated above, you REALLY have to push in on it to compress the rubber. The rubber gets stiff with age. Once it goes down below the fixed part of the lugs, it will rotate CCW.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I predict you need to press in harder before turning.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#13 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

My T6B has the chromed dress/horn ring so I had to be extra careful not to break that. As said, push hard before turning. After removing the glued horn press and after sitting overnight with WD40, a couple of gentle taps with the rubber mallet around the base plate seemed to release the seal that had formed at the base of the rubber cup. I also tried turning it clockwise a bit to release it, then anticlockwise. I think I got lucky.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#14 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Hint: turn the steering wheel to full lock to the left; then you don't need help holding the wheel.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#15 Post by Wes Bender »

I don't want to insult you, but make sure you are turning the backing plate to the left (CCW) and not to the right....... I only mention this because I've been there, done that.