1960 Porsche 356B

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: 1960 Porsche 356B

#16 Post by Adam Wright »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:28 pm
Adam Wright wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:43 pm
Wes Bender wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:08 am It wasn't the advice that Jim was referring to. It was the repetition...... Adam feels that it's worth reading again and Jim feels that we should be able to remember it. I think everyone's heart is in the right place on this.
Wes,
I think there is actually more to it than that. Jim recently informed me that he will be doing everything he can to dis-credit my business, so in light of that I guess this can be viewed as a "first salvo" in that campaign.
I'm curious what Jim has against your business. Jim? PM me if it's too sensitive.
Vic-
This was a recent email I got from Jim in response to telling another recent former Trustee that I did not want to sell him some wheels. After these guys passed around my private emails like a bunch of school girls I started getting responses like this.

And I quote,
"All, I didn't bother to read Adam's dribble, I've heard it all before. As a registry member, I would request that Adam's "Talk" sign off, and commentary be held to the same rules that apply to me. NO "Puffing" his business. I will do everything on my side, my hobby business, to apply every avenue to discredit his business. I sent Felix to him for wheels. Any vendor can refuse to do business with any buyer. But, for stupid reasons that are not true, only an ASSHOLE would do what Adam does.

I will make it a business crusade to discredit him at every opportunity within our community. ……………….Jim.

PS. I'm pressing the Trustees to have all your advertising removed from Talk."
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#17 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Jim; I have gotten some information that truly amazes and disgusts me. If it's true, your attitude and threats are beyond belief!
Please explain. :x

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#18 Post by Adam Wright »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:29 pm Jim; I have gotten some information that truly amazes and disgusts me. If it's true, your attitude and threats are beyond belief!
Vic-
You know what the best part about it is, while Jim might have a self proclaimed "Hobby Shop", my shop and business is how I feed my kids, and how my brother feeds his kids, and how Big John supports his family. So by flippantly saying he is going to run a crusade to hurt my business because I refuse to sell him a part isn't just hurting me, but a lot of families who depend on what I do to live. It is disgusting.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#19 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Adam Wright wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:38 pm
Vic Skirmants wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:29 pm Jim; I have gotten some information that truly amazes and disgusts me. If it's true, your attitude and threats are beyond belief!
Vic-
You know what the best part about it is, while Jim might have a self proclaimed "Hobby Shop", my shop and business is how I feed my kids, and how my brother feeds his kids, and how Big John supports his family. So by flippantly saying he is going to run a crusade to hurt my business because I refuse to sell him a part isn't just hurting me, but a lot of families who depend on what I do to live. It is disgusting.
Adam; I totally agree! Jim; I'm truly ashamed of you.

jay abrams
356 Fan

#20 Post by jay abrams »

What's your problem Jim Liberty?
Spare yourself and don't read the stuff that irritates you.
Good grief.
Jay
jay abrams

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#21 Post by Jules Dielen »

I do not know what went on behind the scenes and have never met Adam in person (or Jim for that matter) - i did have more than a few parts deals with Adam; he's always been a straight shooter with me. And he had the parts i needed, so that made things in my restoration process a lot easier!

I for one appreciate what he does (digging mostly really rusty Porsches out of forests and mud piles!), not many people in our hobby are willing to go that route nowadays. I personally also really enjoy reading his stories in the magazine.

I for one hope there isn't some plot to kick out or discredit someone so actively involved in our shared hobby, especially by contacting the trustees to 'blacklist' an active member over a set of used wheels. That would be something a 4 year old would do.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#22 Post by Tom Tate »

I have sent many, both members and non members, to Unobtainium for advice, parts and assistance on keeping these Tubs on the road and Adam has never failed to assist. I consider he and Matt to be the reason why clubs like the Registry exist. To help one another in enjoying these cars. Does he have the right to decide who he actually sells parts to? I hope so, I certainly do and I believe that is the way this country is set up isn’t it?
KTF

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#23 Post by Bruce Smith »

This is crazy. We all know Adam is a huge part of this club. Find guys more devoted to the hobby than he is, the list will be short.
Bruce Smith

John Weyand
356 Fan

#24 Post by John Weyand »

This is absurd. I lurk about the Registry daily and enjoy and appreciate what I have learned and the friends I have made. There are folks I like more than others and some I respect more than others but I have not seen this sort of childish reaction in the Registry since the famous "lawsuit". I have dealt with Adam for years and respect his knowledge and dealings. Let's stop this NOW.
John W
'64 "C" coupe

John Clarke
356 Fan

#25 Post by John Clarke »

Hi all
I agree John
When Mike Ruddy posted about the 356 B , he sure didn't expect this response ! I have personally only had contact with Adam here on the registry and found him helpful ,interesting, and funny. I thought Adam's post about buying and dealing with scammers very helpful, even if he has posted it before. We don't need insults traded here and I thought that it was against the rules!
Regards Jay

Tony Proasi
Classifieds Moderator

#26 Post by Tony Proasi »

Bruce Smith wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:37 am This is crazy. We all know Adam is a huge part of this club. Find guys more devoted to the hobby than he is, the list will be short.
I was going to respond but Bruce's response is exactly what I was going to say.

William Block
356 Fan
Tag: blocklab

#27 Post by William Block »

It's not clear to me what the problem is -- Adam posts excellent advice, which might seem repetitious, except it's in response to yet another scan. Perhaps there are new subscribers, who could use the advice, perhaps not; but I see nothing pernicious in the advice. Finally,I have dealt with Adam and am completely happy with his business ethics.
bill
Bill Block
BLOCKS-BOOKS.COM
248/672-2637 blocklab@gmail.com
1500N coupe #11994
S tractor #133/7622
1600N S/R #106072
356C cab #161564
911 #303269
914/6 2.8 #9140432388 (for sale)
Freda’s Boxster WPOCA2983WS621230

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#28 Post by Bill Waite »

Regarding the statement: "As a registry member, I would request that Adam's "Talk" sign off, and commentary be held to the same rules that apply to me. NO "Puffing" his business."

It seems to me that what one person might see as "puffery" can be seen as helpful information to another. The "Vendors" listing on the Registry Website includes a dozen or so owners who are active participants in this forum. Frequently, their postings include information regarding their own service capabilities and/or parts that they have available, etc. Almost always such postings provide helpful "on topic" information. As long as they are not using the General Discussion Forum for promotional info that belongs in the "Vendor Announcements" section or in the Website Classifieds, what's the problem?

So, to members like Adam, Ron LaDow, Brad Ripley, Al Zim, etc, etc... I say please keep "puffing" on.
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

1965 356C Coupe "Reversible Outlaw"

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#29 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Like many here, I have known and done a small amount of business buying or selling with Adam for many years. My very first commercial contact consisted of selling some surplus wheels to Adam. After we made the deal Adam immediately sent me the money with the understanding that I would deliver the wheels to him at the next Hershey Swap meet - which was almost 6 months in the future! I don't know any other small - or large - business that operates on trust like that.

And "yes" I delivered the wheels at the Swap Meet.

~ Jeff
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Haig Haleblian
356 Fan

#30 Post by Haig Haleblian »

Here's my take. I sit on the City Council of a community of 40,000 citizens. It is my elected duty to base my decisions on what is best for the community, not what's best for me, the petitioner, or a crowd whether friendly or carrying torches and pitchforks. I see no difference here. Trustees are elected. It is the trustee's job to do what is best for the entire club, not one trustee's hard on for a member. That said, I cannot conceive of the Registry without Adam. We have a lot of great advocates, Adam Wright is one of the greatest. I won't repeat what has already been mentioned in other posts of Adam's advocacy of Registry. Any one who has dealt with the man knows his reputation. I stand by that reputation, because in the end that is all we have, our reputation. What we do not need is another divisive issue as we had a few years ago. Our society currently has a belly full of divisiveness which serves to no ones benefit and everyone's detriment. Think hard of what you speak and think before we head down that rabbit hole. Because if we do, rebuilding a reputation takes a helluva lot more effort than maintaining and building upon what we have. Tread carefully ladies and gentlemen.