Shifter Bushing Replacement

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rick Wall
356 Fan

Shifter Bushing Replacement

#1 Post by Rick Wall »

I have replaced all the shifter bushings for my 62 B coupe. I am hoping someone can clarify two things regarding the plastic cup fitting inside the peace pipe socket.
1. Should the new plastic cup be tapped on to, and connected to, the base of the shifter rod, instead of placing into the peace pipe socket?
2. Is the plastic cup designed to slide up and down within the peace pipe socket, therefor allowing a push down for reverse?

I cleaned the peace pipe of the remains of the former plastic cup.

I have adjusted the linkage, and able to find gears 1-4, but at the neutral shifter position, I cannot push the shifter down to find reverse.

Would the plastic cup not being attached to the shifter create these symptoms?

Thanks
Rick Wall

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Shifter Bushing Replacement

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Rick Wall wrote: 1. Should the new plastic cup be tapped on to, and connected to, the base of the shifter rod, instead of placing into the peace pipe socket?
Rick Wall
Absolutely, or you'll never be able to push the shifter down to engage reverse.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

A rap with a rubber hammer will seat the cup on the end of the shifter. I smear a little grease inside the cup. And after it is seated I smear a little grease on the outside to make it go into the cup easier. Or you can use dish washing soap instead of grease.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Rick Wall
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rick Wall »

Thanks Ron and Doug, I extracted the cup from the peace pipe socket, tapped it onto the shifter end, greased the parts and reinstalled the shifter unit. I now have reverse also, and all gears shift smoothly.
I appreciate your fast and effective advice.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Glad to help. Especially since you might be close to my brother in Quinault
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

Rick Wall wrote:Thanks Ron and Doug, I extracted the cup from the peace pipe socket, tapped it onto the shifter end, greased the parts and reinstalled the shifter unit. I now have reverse also, and all gears shift smoothly.
I appreciate your fast and effective advice.
Bitte schön.
Now you can pass that on to the next one who asks; how do you think Doug and I learned that?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Ron has forgotten more than I ever knew about 356s. But I have done shifter bushings on all 4 of the 356s I have owned. They shift so well when everything is in tip top shape.

Rick Wall
356 Fan

#8 Post by Rick Wall »

Doug, Quinault is a beautiful area, I'm sure your brother likes it there.