So Many Scammers

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

So Many Scammers

#1 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Check out these prices at Carsforsale.com WOW what a deal ! Lol

They even steal credible 356 Registry cars and members. JUST TO GET YOUR EMAIL...
844 area code ? MAJOR RED FLAG

Area Code 844
www.areacodehelp.com/where/area_code_844.shtml
With toll free numbers the charges are paid for by the party who is called instead of the caller. Although area code 844 is not assigned to a geographical area, calls to any toll free number may be restricted by the customer. Other toll free area codes are 800, 833, 855, 866, 877, and 888.

Check out these cars below. Do not call the 844 area code # Scam.

But the website below is legit. Great deals. Dude puts Speedster in the title with his all his ads.
Even shows license plate numbers on some of these cars. Is your car in a scam ?

https://www.carsforsale.com/porsche-356 ... 25-L113536

Here is a sample.
1960 Cabriolet $32,500

Description of this 1960 Porsche 356 Speedster

1960 Porsche 356B Cabriolet
Aetna Blue with Grey leather interior. 2017 full concours winner (San Marino Motor Classic, all 356 class);second in full concours class to the car we beat in San Marino at the 356 Clubof Southern California’s annual concours, (the largest judged 356 concours inthe world, with judges from all over the U.S.); both cars beating the car thatwon the PCA Parade two weeks prior. The car scored 297.3 points out of 300.Comprehensive restoration of literally every nut and bolt. and explained on the 356 Registry’s website under Forums, then Projects, then '60 CabProject. 49 miles on the engine and drivetrain. Rebuilt transmission by transace Dick Aubele, engine by Larry Markham. New brake linings, shoes, splines,axles, wheel cylinders, and master cylinder. All new wheel bearings and races.Engine has counterbalanced crank, balanced rotating assembly, late rods, newNeutek S90/SC/912 cam, Heads with unshrouded intakes by Harry Bieker (done inthe mid ‘90’s, and redone by us), new aluminum oil cooler, new clutch andpressure plate, new Shasta big-bore cylinders with new 9.25 J/E pistons, allstandard dimensions, rebuilt Zenith’s, Leistritz muffler, all dressed up toappear as a ’6, but likely well over 100 hp. New day/night mirror, newclock, new top in correct material.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: So Many Scammers

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

I'm going to insert my standard rant on scams

Rant on Scams, Advice for buyers and sellers. Flame Suit On!
First a word to sellers, there are a couple of things we can do to make it harder for the scammers.

1. It's important when you sell a car to watermark the pictures somehow. There are a million apps for this but you can also go oldschool. When someone I don't know asks me for pictures of a car, I say sure, and cover it in magnets. If they are interested in buying the car they don't care, if they are trying to picture flip or worse, just use the pictures their plans are foiled.
2. It's also why I always take pictures for ebay in the same spot in my shop, that way people recognize the place. I've actually had people call me and say someone was trying to sell one of my cars but they recognized my shop, so it works.

Next a word to buyers.
1. Be careful out there everybody, the more these things are valuable, the more risk, a wise man once said buy the seller not the car.
2. If you think you are being super clever staying up all night searching the dark corner's of the internet and found that Porsche listed on an obscure website and it's just your lucky day or you found some dealer in a small town with a slick website who just doesn't know what he has, don't send the deposit, it isn't your lucky day. If you found it on the internet the gig is up, anyone who can setup a website and take pictures of rare car, can do five minutes of research and won't put it on their site for half of it's true value.
Now if you're pumping gas in your 911 and some guy walks up to you and says he has his uncle's old Porch, do you want to come look at it, that might be real, but if you find it online and it seems like it too good to be true, it is. There was once a time when you could scan craigslist and jump on a deal, that day is long gone. I went to see a well known flipper in NYC several years ago, he had three Indian women sitting in front of computers hitting re-fresh on every craigslist, every classic car forum, and every other avenue every few seconds, that's why that dude calls you within 15 minutes of you placing an ad, trust me you can't compete with that, so if a craigslist ad has been up for more than 15 minutes and it seems like your lucky day, it isn't.
Bottom line, if you find a "super deal" on the internet there is a 90% chance that it is a scam, and if it's not, some flipper will offer the guy way more, and you'll be out of the deal. Another well known west coast flipper will always pay more, just to get people to stop trying. I once won a sealed bid estate auction for three Porsches. Once this guy found out it was me he said, "I'll pay 20% over whatever Adam bid!" Luckily, the seller was a gentleman and I got the cars. But he was willing to do anything to best me.
If you want a deal on a Porsche go out and make some friends, meet other Porsche guys, the best cars never see a for sale sign, they just quietly trade hands amongst Porsche guys. Most of the cars I buy are not advertised, people just know to call me, but all I do is make myself known. I seen some of the best deals happen between two friends, so if you are in the market for a Porsche, get out there and drive, don't surf the net, there are no deals there, but there are lots of scammers.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for the advice, Guys.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

So Martin, what are you saying? Toll-free numbers are no big deal. The carsforsale.com site seems completely fishy, why did you say it was legit? Or am I overlooking dry humor maybe?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Bruechle »

carsforsale.com is legit, same as craigslist.
It is just too bad they can not screen fake ads.
Always look up the area code. Tell to text or call.
I'm selling some 912 sheet metal on Craigs now.
At the bottom of each ad I always write.
NO SCAMMERS
NO EMAILS in caps. Now seeing scammers use legit cars and license plates
from 356 owners really sucks.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jim Nelson »

Martin Bruechle wrote: https://www.carsforsale.com/porsche-356 ... 25-L113536

Here is a sample.
1960 Cabriolet $32,500

Description of this 1960 Porsche 356 Speedster

1960 Porsche 356B Cabriolet
Aetna Blue with Grey leather interior. 2017 full concours winner (San Marino Motor Classic, all 356 class);second in full concours class to the car we beat in San Marino at the 356 Clubof Southern California’s annual concours, (the largest judged 356 concours inthe world, with judges from all over the U.S.); both cars beating the car thatwon the PCA Parade two weeks prior. The car scored 297.3 points out of 300.Comprehensive restoration of literally every nut and bolt. and explained on the 356 Registry’s website under Forums, then Projects, then '60 CabProject. 49 miles on the engine and drivetrain. Rebuilt transmission by transace Dick Aubele, engine by Larry Markham. New brake linings, shoes, splines,axles, wheel cylinders, and master cylinder. All new wheel bearings and races.Engine has counterbalanced crank, balanced rotating assembly, late rods, newNeutek S90/SC/912 cam, Heads with unshrouded intakes by Harry Bieker (done inthe mid ‘90’s, and redone by us), new aluminum oil cooler, new clutch andpressure plate, new Shasta big-bore cylinders with new 9.25 J/E pistons, allstandard dimensions, rebuilt Zenith’s, Leistritz muffler, all dressed up toappear as a ’6, but likely well over 100 hp. New day/night mirror, newclock, new top in correct material.
This is a scam. The car is for sale, but I'm the seller (it's even my avatar!). Car is owned by Markham/Benson/Nelson, and no one else is authorized to speak for us. Beware.

Thank you, Martin, for bringing this to our attention.
Last edited by Jim Nelson on Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

The prices on carsforsale are unrealistically and suspiciously low. A Google search for area code 844 indicates it is in Mexico.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#8 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

I hate to be naive, but what is the scam? What happens when you call them if they don't have the car? Surely they are not going to talk you into a Ford Fusion, and I doubt people are going to send them money sight unseen.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

I think the scam is that they don't own the cars they are selling, take your deposit and you are left with nothing. My guess is Adam can elaborate much better.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jim Nelson »

Charles H Jacobus wrote:I hate to be naive, but what is the scam? What happens when you call them if they don't have the car? Surely they are not going to talk you into a Ford Fusion, and I doubt people are going to send them money sight unseen.

Chuck

It's fraud, Chuck, pure and simple. The idea, crazy as this may sound, it to sound knowledgeable on the phone or through email, and get one to part with a deposit. To try and sell something that doesn't belong to you is a scam.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Benade »

I only looked at maybe the first 8 listings on carsforsale.com. If I kept going would I have seen some legit ads mixed in there?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#12 Post by Adam Wright »

Cars For Sale is the dark corner of the internet when it comes to buying a classic car. Don't fall for it.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#13 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Mike Wilson wrote:The prices on carsforsale are unrealistically and suspiciously low.
And all the 356 ads list the car as a 'Speedster', whether it's a coupe or cab or replica.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#14 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

It's hard to believe anyone would send a deposit for a car without looking at it.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

I think it happens more often than we hear about. I follow 356's on Bring a Trailer and indications are people bidding on them have not seen them nor have a PPI done. They bid on the cars based on the pictures. I think the same thing happens on other sites and scammers take advantage of people thinking they found the deal of the century.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe