Income Tax liability when selling Speedster???

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Joseph Gregory Dahlem
356 Fan

Income Tax liability when selling Speedster???

#1 Post by Joseph Gregory Dahlem »

If you sell a Porsche you have owned and raced for 50 years, is there a tax liability. Need to know, please.

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

Re: Income Tax liability when selling Speedster???

#2 Post by Tom Coughlin »

I am told by my wife (who knows this stuff) that capital gain taxes will be due. If you are going to buy another car look into a 1031 swap (use "search" above and you'll get more info.) Here is one link to some 1031 info.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38677&hilit=1031
 KTF, member #15

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

Joseph Gregory dahlem wrote:If you sell a Porsche you have owned and raced for 50 years, is there a tax liability. Need to know, please.
That's probably why most guys say when I come to buy their Speedster to "bring cash".
This pic was taken before I bought a 55 Speedster.
Attachments
55speed2.jpg
loot.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#4 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Adam,
Oh, c'mon. It is common knowledge you keep piles of cash like this on a daily basis. This may even be one of the smaller stacks!

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Will depend on your tax bracket. Also depends on the short/long term of ownership. Since you have owned it for a long time, it might be a little easier on you. Further, you can deduct all the associated taxes you paid on the car over the years and any "improvements" you made on the car excluding regular maintenance.

See this:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxes/c ... tax-rates/

and this:

https://www.dmv.org/articles/income-tax ... -used-car/

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

Also if you pay someone more than $10,000 aren't you supposed to report it to the IRS somehow?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

Martin Benade wrote:Also if you pay someone more than $10,000 aren't you supposed to report it to the IRS somehow?
No, you are under no obligation to report that you paid someone, it is up to them if they choose to report the income, but it's not your job to turn your neighbor into the man.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

At least that is better than I thought.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

Martin Benade wrote:At least that is better than I thought.
When do you want me to swing by? Tomorrow?
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ron LaDow »

Joseph Gregory dahlem wrote:If you sell a Porsche you have owned and raced for 50 years, is there a tax liability. Need to know, please.
BTW, I see it's you're first post, so welcome!
But in answer to your question, it's probably better if you get advice from a tax pro rather than opinions taken from the web.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Frank R Allocca
356 Fan

#11 Post by Frank R Allocca »

You will need to consider the capital gains tax in you State on top of the federal ( which depends on you personal tax bracket plus Mr Obama's 3.5 % for the ACA) , a 1031 exchange requires an neutral agent who handles the transaction both on the sell and buy side , you have 45 days to find a suitable replacement and then I believe 6 months to complete the transaction! John Draneas Esq, an attorney in Oregon who writes in the Sports Car Market, has been helpful for me in the past. Not a bad problem to have. Might consider waiting until you see if congress will pas a Tax Package, it might include some relief on Cap Gains!

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#12 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Cars (356s) classified as "collectibles" have a higher capital gains tax than non-collectibles. Differentiating between the two for acceptability by the IRS (and/or state) for tax purposes is a challenge.

Steven Murray
356 Fan

If U restored that Speedster - how much allocated for TOOLs

#13 Post by Steven Murray »

Hopefully you can write off the Miller Welder, Compressor, Paint gun, plasma cutter and 300 Amp service upgrade into the basis cost of the car. Lift? Garage de-humidification system.

I always wondered if you could sell a collection to add a few $$ loosers into the mix, make the buyer also purchase that 1995 volvo I paid $24,000 for. The 2000 subaru I paid $22000 for. So there's $46K added to the cost of my "collection".

Finally with the 1031 - maybe it doesn't have to be a car?? Swap into real-estate or even stocks?

I'm not looking for a serious answer - these things are just bouncing around in my head. Since we are on the subject.

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jim Neil »

Hate to break it to you, but in the USA, if you sell personal property at a profit (after cost, improvements, etc.) you must pay capital gains tax on the profit. Doesn't matter if you bought it 50 years ago and inflation has gotten it to today's value, you still pay capital gains tax on the inflated value (of course, a total ripoff).

Internal Revenue Code Section 1031 allows you to trade into a "like kind" asset (most common RE for RE) and defer tax, not sure how this works with collectible cars).
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#15 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Wouldn't you avoid the tax by leaving it to your kids (assuming your estate was below the multi-million dollar total cut-off)?

ChuckJ
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)