C Coupe Dash Gauges

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Luke Short
356 Fan

C Coupe Dash Gauges

#1 Post by Luke Short »

Can anyone shed light on this 65 C Coupe dash set up? It looks like additional holes may have been added for gauges. Is it possible these were a factory option?
Attachments
IMG_2156.JPG

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: C Coupe Dash Gauges

#2 Post by John Brooks »

Not factory except the center hole looks like the normal 60mm clock, and the other smaller two 52mm standard gauges. Some one did an up grade with a hole saw. No telling what they had there.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

The other holes could have been drilled for an oil temp and amp gauges.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Luke Short
356 Fan

#4 Post by Luke Short »

Many thanks guys, I suspected this..

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Glad to be of help, Luke. Any vestiges of wiring to whatever gauges might have been there?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#6 Post by Richard Milstead »

Mr Short,
I am a little skeptical of the solution offered to your problem. In particular the smaller hole size looks to be very close to the size of both the clock and O/I thermometer gauge on my car. Do you have either the Kardex or COA to confirm that this car didn't come with an O/I thermometer? I am attaching two pictures taken during the restoration of my '65 Cab for your scrutiny. These arrangements are rare so check the documentation and certainly, check the size against the clock before you have the holes patched. Probably they are as discussed above but just be sure.

Dick Milstead
Attachments
65 Cab dash after paint.jpg
65 Cab gauges installed.jpg
Factory Picture Resized.jpg
Dick Milstead

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

The holes themselves would confirm if factory-made or not, wouldn't they? A Kardex would be even better.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Doug McDonnell »

And it seems the O/I ( Outside/inside) Temperature Gauge was installed in different places. This is from a Euro SC which has the optional O/I (Outside/Inside) Temperature Gauge on the Kardex.
Attachments
IMG_1269.JPG
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

That is interesting, Doug. I think the factory manual shows the O/I temp gauge to the right of the glove box. Then again, "Porsche...consistently inconsistent..."

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Doug McDonnell »

The late great Charlie White of course documented the placements: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27574
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#11 Post by Doug McDonnell »

As Dick Milstead said get a Kardex. The factory would let you order just about anything as special order and it would be a shame to weld up factory holes.

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#12 Post by Richard Milstead »

Doug. Mike,

There were two locations where the factory installed O/I thermometers, actually listed by two different accessory numbers in the catalog, basically depending when you ordered the car. The one in my car required that the accessory be part of an order placed more that 4 weeks before delivery and that "installation (this way) after delivery is impossible". Basically, a different dash with the appropriate cutouts needed to be installed when the car was built. The alternative arrangement (with a different accessory number) where the new gauge hole was placed to the right of the glove box was either for last minute installations at the factory or at the dealer on a car which had the clock in the center as normal. I actually believe that the clock was supposed to be moved and the thermometer gauge installed in the center of the dash in its place so the picture you show is not per the manual but that is the idea anyway.
Hope this clears it up.

Dick MIlstead
Dick Milstead

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#13 Post by Jim Liberty »

DSC_0006.JPG
Here is my '63 S-90. Added these just for fun.
Jim Liberty